Welcome to Indigo!
Welcome to the Indigo Class (Montessori 4-6 years).
Please visit our Indigo Classroom website for updated information for the 2017-2018 school year.
Our class will follow some of the Montessori principles founded by Dr. Maria Montessori and you will see many of the following ideas put into practice:
- Treating children with respect
- Giving children the opportunity to do the tasks that interest them as often as they want
- Making materials designed for specific learning goals
- Smiling and making positive eye contact with a child before a presentation or instruction of any kind
- Showing children the steps involved in doing a task or working with a particular material
- Designing materials and activities rather than have an adult correct them
- Observing the children to see how they used material and what they needed to learn
- Modifying material and methods on the basis of these observations
- Accepting that not all children learn at the same pace
“Montessori is an education for independence, preparing not just for school, but for life.”